Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2009 9:37:15 PM EDT
To join the Army??
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe 42 is the cut off for the ARMY.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
To join the Army??

Depends on how much money you make/have and whether or not you have a degree.  Even still, you'll be the old guy.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to take note of.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
What'st the absolute age limit?

Money and education not an issue...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To join the Army??

Depends on how much money you make/have and whether or not you have a degree.  Even still, you'll be the old guy.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to take note of.

Worked 15 years in tech, semi retired dont't care about money just want to serve my country.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Do it!

And post pics!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#7]
40, with no PS?  wow.

unless you're in excellent shape already, I'd say don't bother, find something else to help out.  Basic, if you're out of shape could kick your ass.
but that's just me.  I know and can tell now that I"m glad I got out when I did. not only was I hurt on AD, but other parts of me are telling me that I don't heal as fast anymore.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do it!

And post pics!

Of course!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Man it would be weird to be 40 and in basic with 17 and 18 year olds.  To be ordered around by 22 year olds like you're an idiot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Man it would be weird to be 40 and in basic with 17 and 18 year olds.  To be ordered around by 22 year olds like you're an idiot.

I figure you are only an idiot if you think like one...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will destroy your ability to think, make you so tired and lonely and confused that everyone thinks like an idiot.  Then they order you around like an idiot.  The goal is to break you down and thus be more receptive to training.  It is their job, and they excel at it.  

The oldest guy in my Basic Training platoon was in his mid 30s, he had a prior enlistment and a tour in Vietnam.  He was as hard as woodpecker lips.  I don't see many folks his age making it through.  You've got the disadvantage of an older body, plus years of actually being responsible for yourself that will make the BS seem even more magnified.  Of course there would be exceptions, but I wouldn't suggest it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Some forty year olds, yes, some, no.

Only one way to find out.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will destroy your ability to think, make you so tired and lonely and confused that everyone thinks like an idiot.  Then they order you around like an idiot.  The goal is to break you down and thus be more receptive to training.  It is their job, and they excel at it.  

The oldest guy in my Basic Training platoon was in his mid 30s, he had a prior enlistment and a tour in Vietnam.  He was as hard as woodpecker lips.  I don't see many folks his age making it through.  You've got the disadvantage of an older body, plus years of actually being responsible for yourself that will make the BS seem even more magnified.  Of course there would be exceptions, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Fair enough. I was just thinking I could be doing something more. I understand they tear you down to build you up. I thank anyone for their honest input to a serious question.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Do it. If you fail, at least you can say you tried. If you don't give it a shot, you'll never know.

That said, I wouldn't suggest infantry. Look around at the possible career fields. Maybe medical, something that won't require as much from your body.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
What about FBI-CIA-NSA?

A place where your brains could help the nation.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#16]
If you want to do it then do it. Basic is m uch easier now a days and it is only for a short time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#17]
From what i hear basic training nowadays is a joke. I could go through it at my age and i ain't far from 60. If some punk starts yelling at you just laugh at him and walk off. Worst part of all would be having obama as CIC.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do it. If you fail, at least you can say you tried. If you don't give it a shot, you'll never know.

That said, I wouldn't suggest infantry. Look around at the possible career fields. Maybe medical, something that won't require as much from your body.

Someone has never had to hump a field  x-ray cathode.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:47:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I love me some zoomies, but no denying it: they do have a somewhat more genteel lifestyle. Their less physical, more cerebral approach might be a better match for you at this point in your life.  I don't know what their age cutoff is.

Jane
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:32:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To join the Army??

Worked 15 years in tech, semi retired dont't care about money just want to serve my country.

That is admirable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The oldest guy in my Basic Training platoon was in his mid 30s, he had a prior enlistment and a tour in Vietnam.  He was as hard as woodpecker lips.  I don't see many folks his age making it through.  You've got the disadvantage of an older body, plus years of actually being responsible for yourself that will make the BS seem even more magnified. Of course there would be exceptions, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Consider this fully. I was close to 30 when I enlisted and he's dead on with that part. Being treated like a incompetent boy when you're a full grown man can make your fists start to ball up. It was a constant control test for me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think the mental end of it would be easier to deal with since, by 40, you have already been thru so much bullshit that operating in a BS filled enviroment would be second nature
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would think the mental end of it would be easier to deal with since, by 40, you have already been thru so much bullshit that operating in a BS filled enviroment would be second nature

Agreed,

I personally recommend the Army National Guard over the regular army for older Joes. There are alot more older Joes in the Guard than the regular army.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:46:54 AM EDT
[#24]
BTW, I joined the Army National Guard at 39yo after a seventeen year break in service as I got out of the Navy when I was 23yo.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The oldest guy in my Basic Training platoon was in his mid 30s, he had a prior enlistment and a tour in Vietnam.  He was as hard as woodpecker lips.  I don't see many folks his age making it through.  You've got the disadvantage of an older body, plus years of actually being responsible for yourself that will make the BS seem even more magnified. Of course there would be exceptions, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Consider this fully. I was close to 30 when I enlisted and he's dead on with that part. Being treated like a incompetent boy when you're a full grown man can make your fists start to ball up. It was a constant control test for me.

I was 22 when I joined the AF (yes, I realize it's not quite the same as the Army).  I had the same issue being treated like an incompetent throughout basic/tech school.  Thankfully, I pulled through it.

ETA joining NG might be a better option for you, as mentioned above.  Consider all your options before you raise your right hand.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
To join the Army??

1-800-GO-GUARD

What state are you in? Find out if your state Guard has a marksmanship unit.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#27]
If you go in with the mindset that it's all a game, it won't bother you.

The average age in my basic platoon was 24. I was 26...we had a couple 30's. Over half of us had degrees, all of us had college of some sort. None of us had issues mentally with it because we understood what they were doing and basically blew it off, took the training and went on with life. The other platoons full of mostly 20yo or less had a harder time with the mental aspects of it. They tended to take it personally. It's not personal. As long as you approach it as a process instead of a personal attack, you'll be fine.

Do it if it's what you want to do. Sign up for a couple year enlistment, they might even still have the one year enlistment (minus your basic/ait or OSUT). I usually tell folks to go infantry because there aren't any other jobs in my eyes ;)  But at your age, look at the support side of it and you'll be more than fine. They serve a great purpose...just don't get to do the as cool stuff ;)  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:38:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I will be 37 in Aug and my company is really slow with work.  I have always regretted not going in the .mil when I was younger.  Figure I will be F**ked financially if I loose this 60k+ /year job in IT.

So my backup plan since I don't have any real assets, is to do chapter 7 and join the Army.  I hope to learn a new trade skill like Jet engine repair or something.  Just a same that I would end up serving under Obama!!!

My original plan in life was to get a 4 year degree and joing the .mil as an O1.  Of course life got in the way and a full time job made Engineering school hell so I ended up with a 2 year degree in Network Administration.  I've been working as a one man IT department for this company since 95.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I will be 37 in Aug and my company is really slow with work.  I have always regretted not going in the .mil when I was younger.  Figure I will be F**ked financially if I loose this 60k+ /year job in IT.

So my backup plan since I don't have any real assets, is to do chapter 7 and join the Army.  I hope to learn a new trade skill like Jet engine repair or something.  Just a same that I would end up serving under Obama!!!

My original plan in life was to get a 4 year degree and joing the .mil as an O1.  Of course life got in the way and a full time job made Engineering school hell so I ended up with a 2 year degree in Network Administration.  I've been working as a one man IT department for this company since 95.

Go Guard, it is one weekend a month and two weeks a year for most. If you are deployed, your job will be protected by state and federal law.

If work is really slow at your company, then this is a good time to join. You are not busy, you got time for basic training and your MOS training right now.

Also, the extra dollars from serving in the Guard can be a good thing when your job is not giving you enough hours to pay bills.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#30]

This is me at 41yo.

If I can do it, then you can do it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#31]

At 37yo to 40yo, you don't have any more time for procrastination.

Just do it.  1-800-GO-GUARD
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#32]
You could always get a civilian job at a military base or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is me at 41yo.

81st out of Washington?

Those guys replaced us at FOB Kalsu in '04...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is me at 41yo.

81st out of Washington?

Those guys replaced us at FOB Kalsu in '04...

Yup, that's us. But I did not join the Army Nat'l Guard until June of 2007.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Cool...I was in the 2/505 of the 82nd at the time.

81st had a rough go of it that year in the Triangle of Death. Hopefully their leadership's gotten better since then ;)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cool...I was in the 2/505 of the 82nd at the time.

81st had a rough go of it that year in the Triangle of Death. Hopefully their leadership's gotten better since then ;)

I am in the 1-303rd Cavalry.

I am assuming that there was a learning curve, things are going rather well for us here for OIF 2008 - 2009. Of course the enemy was much more active then, still we got our share of IEDs and had some incoming mortar fire to wake us up out of our CHUs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Per my local WV NG recruiter a couple months ago....

Nationwide the NG is overmanned by thousands. They have dropped their max enlistment age back under 40.

Per my local Army recruiter, theirs is still max age 42...but you must meet the physical req's before they will process the paperwork and get you to MEPS.

Im too close to 42 now. I was shooting for reenlistment but time ran out. Been bustin my ass workin out for the past 2 years while attending college fulltime

I was in compliance last fall, gained a few pounds over the holidays and it didnt want to come back off....

Im probably in compliance now but like I said, July 5th is too close to pull it off now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Per my local WV NG recruiter a couple months ago....

Nationwide the NG is overmanned by thousands. They have dropped their max enlistment age back under 40.

Per my local Army recruiter, theirs is still max age 42...but you must meet the physical req's before they will process the paperwork and get you to MEPS.

Im too close to 42 now. I was shooting for reenlistment but time ran out. Been bustin my ass workin out for the past 2 years while attending college fulltime

I was in compliance last fall, gained a few pounds over the holidays and it didnt want to come back off....

Im probably in compliance now but like I said, July 5th is too close to pull it off now.

Get another recruiter, I know some in WA state that could get you in.

BTW, are you prior service? If so, then 42yo age limit does NOT apply. I went to Warrior Transition Course (WTC) with SSG O'Neil, a 57yo Vietnam Veteran who did the one year enlistment option that is open to veterans.

WTC is a "gentleman's bootcamp" for veterans. It started out as "Blue to Green" for Air Force and Navy personell who are being downsized out of their service branch so they an continue their military service in the Army.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#39]
yes
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Just some tacticool gun pron.  

Also got my expanding knife collection too! I came here with two knives and a leathermen, but then I started buying online.

Gunner's view on trail, facing 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough. I was just thinking I could be doing something more. I understand they tear you down to build you up. I thank anyone for their honest input to a serious question.

On the flip side I think your age will let you get through the mental part of boot camp better than the kids. The mental part is a game, through intimidation and manipulation they take the confused rabble that arrives and direct it toward a common goal of physical fitness and basic military bearing. It's not that difficult, since I come from a military family I knew what to expect when I enlisted, as soon as I stepped off the bus I knew what I was doing and where I was going. There are leaders and there are followers, the ones that keep their shit together and function under pressure are the leaders, every one else is in the back of the pack. I'd be more concerned about the physical fitness part myself, I would want to be able to run 5 miles at a shot without passing out before I even considered going in at my age (39). They are going to run you to death, exercise is used a corrective tool with the added benefit that it gets you in shape, by week 8 or so our DI's had to start finding other ways to correct us when we needed it, the long runs and sit ups etc didnt have as big of an effect after we all started getting fit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Umm...seriously...lose the mag carrier on the buttstock. That screams POG! :)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#44]
What's the daily bag limit on terrorists?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Umm...seriously...lose the mag carrier on the buttstock. That screams POG! :)

I seen POG's that don't carry any ammunition for their rifles/carbines.  

I wish the SGM's would crack down on the fobbits for not carrying ammunition for their weapons, but it seems to be more importiant that they get on us about wearing PT belts after dark.

When I am on the FOB, I got the mag carrier and another mag in the lower left pocket of my trousers.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Jesus! Some of you make being 40+ sound like ya need a walker!!!  WTF? I'm 45...ride a mountain bike 40 hours a week, lift weights, lots of body weight conditioning....your mind will be your weakest link...if you think negatively that will be your downfall. If you want it, and believe in it then you'll succeed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I have considered going in late myself (I am 39) but with a pair of masters degrees (Virology and Pharmacy) I am convinced they would put me at a desk or at a laminar flow hood growing cells and I can do that outside .mil  Just not going to happen this late in life and with a wife and kids it would be very tough.

I have a buddy that is 40 and he is considering joining but he is single with no kids.  I bet basic would kick his ass as he is built like a bull (all muscle but no endurance) but he has been talking with the recruters.  I think it would be an adventure and when I graduated highschool I really wanted to join the Corps but ended up going to college, grad school, and pharma industry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:03:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have considered going in late myself (I am 39) but with a pair of masters degrees (Virology and Pharmacy) I am convinced they would put me at a desk or at a laminar flow hood growing cells and I can do that outside .mil  Just not going to happen this late in life and with a wife and kids it would be very tough.

I have a buddy that is 40 and he is considering joining but he is single with no kids.  I bet basic would kick his ass as he is built like a bull (all muscle but no endurance) but he has been talking with the recruters.  I think it would be an adventure and when I graduated highschool I really wanted to join the Corps but ended up going to college, grad school, and pharma industry.

You would come in as an officer. Likely working in a pharmacy or lab.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Jesus! Some of you make being 40+ sound like ya need a walker!!!  WTF? I'm 45...ride a mountain bike 40 hours a week, lift weights, lots of body weight conditioning....your mind will be your weakest link...if you think negatively that will be your downfall. If you want it, and believe in it then you'll succeed.

Spot on!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a friend in the 101st who went in six months or so on prior service at 42. He's doing OK. Mind you he was a fitness nut and worked outside doing labor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top